Or Shalom Tikkun Olam
Or Shalom has always provided many programs focused on Tikkun Olam or ‘repairing our world’. Our efforts center on a basic need of food for those in need. The Tikkun Olam committee has organized our efforts and our commitment for this need under 3 areas of congregation, community and Israel.
- B’nai Mitzvah projects: Prior to stepping-up as a Bar or Bat Mitzvah, each student elects a meaningful volunteer opportunity demonstrating Tzedakah or Tikkun Olam (Directed by Rabbi Clark)
- London Food Bank: Every other month, a group volunteers help onsite at the London Food Bank (Directed by Al and Louise Levy)
- Project Isaiah: Coordinated with our USY (United Synagogue Youth), during our New Year (Rosh Hashanah) monetary donations are made to the London Food Bank (Directed by Stephanie Loomer)
- Come in Out of the Cold: In concert with the Jewish Community Center (JCC) and the National Jewish Fund (NJF), a full hot meal and clothing are provided to those in need (Directed by Darlene Zaifman-Guslits). This year, over 300 people were served.
- Purim Baskets (Mishloach Manot): Providing a parcel of food to those in need. (Directed by Michael and Wendy Wilson)
- Leket Israel: A fundraising event at Shavuot supporting Israel’s largest food bank and food rescue network (Directed by Wendy and Michael Wilson)
Our Tikun Olam success has resulted from the heartfelt efforts and commitment by volunteers wishing to make a difference in the lives of others to meet g’milut hasadim [acts of loving kindness]. Consider joining our team to help make a difference.